I believe every person has a natural desire to create and add value to the world. The truth, however, is that most people stay in passive mode and go through their entire life only consuming. According to the one percent internet culture rule, it states that only 1% create online content and the other 99% just lurk.
Over the past 10 years, I’ve watched several distinctly different brands grow into successful household names. This got me thinking… the disappointing thought of the wasted years just consuming and never creating anything of real value in return.
I’ve learned a load, even had some moderate successes but in the end my compulsive consuming has left little room for creating my own work.
I’m a lurker…say it. There’s no shame in it if you’re happy lurk away! For a long time I’ve just lurked on the sidelines and I caught myself saying, ‘I should have’ and ‘I could have’ been one of those successful household names if ‘I would have’.
We’ve all been there
Just one more inspiring article, book, video. Then I will…promise.
For the majority of us this feeling you’re trying to flood with consumption will, in fact, increase the void. The problem, we love to consume because there’s no risk! And as consumers we are all driven to find products which feed our risk-free dreams and like junkies this will be our temporary imaginative reality fix adding to the never-ending vicious cycle.
Take an active role stop making excuses already. Trust me I know it’s easy to get stuck in consumption quicksand. Today just admit it and make a commitment to finding your balance between creating and consuming.
Find your creative balance
I don’t have the secret formula for keeping you balanced. We are all made different, unfortunately, so there’s no one-size fits all solution.
We are, in fact, all creative to some degree.
In order to create you must first find your creativity again. This will not be easy as I’m sure it was killed off years ago by your relatives, friends, and teachers. Sir Ken Robinson says it perfectly “you grow out of it or rather you get educated out of it” (his TED talk).
Create first consume later
I highly recommend reading Sir Ken’s book Find Your Element as a starting point for transitioning from consuming ideas to creating value. I’m not recommending a lifetime sole searching consumer pass, read the book leverage the ideas and focus on your inner passion to create.
Have already consumed a truckload of information? Then I think you know Sir Ken’s book isn’t your starting point, you just need to make the transition and start creating. Reward yourself afterwards and consume when you’ve created something of value.
What you ultimately want to achieve is to ‘create first and consume as needed’. No amount of consumption is going to resolve a failure to start. The sooner you create the bridge the faster you can start helping people get crossed it.
What have you created? Get Started!